Read the latest edition of USAID’s FrontLines to learn some of the ways the Agency is tackling the world’s toughest challenges—like poverty, disease and climate change—by applying science, technology, innovation and partnerships. Some highlights:
- Mobile banking is slowly spreading across sub-Saharan Africa—a region where banks are scarce, but cell phones are plentiful.
- Three Egyptian girls show their smarts in an international competition after attending USAID-supported schools that specialize in new ways to teach science, technology, engineering and math.
- With a hackathon, Ukrainians show the world how they can pool their ideas and resources to come up with solutions to help 1 million displaced countrymen.
- Don’t judge the looks of this contraption that resembles a diver’s wetsuit until you see how it is saving new mothers’ lives in Timor-Leste.
- If you think tropical storms are the biggest threat to Caribbean nations like Jamaica, think again. USAID is helping Jamaica’s farmers prepare for an equally devastating and recurring menace—drought.